According to a study conducted by the National Centre for Complimentary Medicine, thirty eight per cent of American Adults and around twelve per cent of American Children have used alternative medicines.
The top ten most popular ones are –
1. Fish Oil, or Omega 3 Fatty Acids which can also be found cold water fish, and is believed to be good for your overall health.
2. Glucosamine, which is a compound found naturally in healthy cartilage and can also help with certain arthritic conditions.
3. Echinacea, which is commonly used for fighting colds.
4. Flaxseed Oils and Pills, which is an inexpensive plant based source of Omega 3 fatty acids. It is supposed to help fight off infections or help clear them.
5. Ginseng, which is believed to be as an overall tonic and immune booster. They also say that it can help your functioning, physically as well as mentally.
6. Combination Herbal Pills, these are sold for a variety of ailments from colds to back pain.
7. Ginkgo Biloba, which is said to have antioxidants that help improve the flow of blood to your brain.
8. Chondroitin, which is a compound made of cartilage and is said to be beneficial in treating pain and swelling.
9. Garlic, which we all know is good for lowering cholesterol and it’s also good for your heart.
10. Coenzyme Q10 which is said to help produce energy.
Of course, none of these should be taken as a supplement unless approved by your GP as some have been found to cause reactions and others cannot be mixed with certain types of medicinal drugs.