FMA UK is a charity fighting for freedom from fibromyalgia. If you are looking for a helpline, forum, support group, booklets and the latest news on fibromyalgia then this charity has it all.
Fibromyalgia Action UK is a registered charity run primarily by unpaid volunteers. The majority of volunteers are also fibromyalgia sufferers who work extremely hard, despite their condition, in order to forward the cause of fibromyalgia. FMA UK was established in order to provide information and support to sufferers and their families. In addition, the Association provides medical information for professionals and operates a national helpline.
They want to improve the lives of people with fibromyalgia by increasing awareness of the condition throughout the UK and elsewhere, and improve the awareness of, and access to treatments for fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Association UK was first established in 1992 to provide information to people with fibromyalgia. In 1997 it began working also with the 40 support groups around the country providing free information leaflets and books for sale. There are now over 150 support groups working with FMA UK and a network of regional coordinators who help set up new groups and arrange regional events such as meetings and conferences. The charity is mostly run by volunteers without whom they say would not be able to provide the level of service they do. On the 1st July 2015 FMA UK and Fibroaction merged to produce Fibromyalgia Action UK.
Some of the services or resources that they offer are:
- National Helplines on fibromyalgia and benefits issues
- An online support forum that is available 24/7 with office bearers of the charity being available to help e.g. their benefits advisor helps with benefits queries and sends information regularly.
- UK wide system of support groups
- Only fibro charity that helps create and provides resources to support groups at creation and through their operation
- Providing the insurance cover required for registered fibromyalgia support groups to operate
- Email support system where Regional Coordinators answer questions and refer people to local support
- Signposting to legal support
- Awareness event support including awareness items including posters, leaflets, tshirts and many more items with many being offered free or at cost
- Fundraising support
- Sending of free patient information packs from the office
- Sending medical professional booklets to medical professionals from the charity on behalf of patients.
- Trustees and RCs attending conferences, support groups, medical professional and governmental meetings.
- Supporting regional and national conferences
- They represent fibromyalgia sufferers at various levels and to various organisations.
- Organise and take part in European Activities through ENFA
- Provide medical information for sufferers and medical professionals through its Medical Advisory Board of experts. Their latest booklets include “Young People with Fibromyalgia” and their updated “The Fibromyalgic Pregnancy and Beyond” booklet.
- Update information in other organisation’s publications e.g. ARC and BUPA
- Provide information and interviewees to media
- Provide participants for surveys and research projects
- FMA UK sets the date for the UK fibromyalgia awareness week and organises events with groups to raise awareness of our condition
- Organise events for International Awareness day on May 12th. Normally involves an event at Westmister and the Fibromyalgia APPG.