We are all feeling cooped up at the moment, myself included, and with the awful weather we have had of late, it means many of us are not even getting out for a daily walks.
But stretching your body can be just as useful to your health. Stretching correctly helps keep muscles flexible and strong, which then helps improve joint mobility, posture and balance.
Everyone knows that stretching after exercise is essential for you and it also helps to increase circulation and workout recovery but it can help with many other things as well. Here are 10 great reasons to give your body a daily stretch.
- Stretching keeps you flexible, it keeps your muscles supple and strong which has a knock on effect at keeping your joints fully mobile.
- Stretching is great for your posture and can release those tight muscles you get from poor posture.
- Stretching is good for your health as they say it can help to deliver nutrients to muscles.
- Stretching can help lower high blood pressure.
- Stretching can help improve your sleep.
- Stretching can help relax your mind and reduce anxiety.
- Stretching can help to alleviate stress.
- Stretching can help with digestion and reduce inflammation and support the intestines.
- Stretching opens different parts of your body that have not been moved for a while.
- Stretching, they say, can decrease back pain, so it is definitely something I am going to try.
There are lots of videos online on stretching but I have some resistance bands I kept after breaking my foot so with the help of the infographics below I am going to start my daily stretch using those.