World Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12th and Fibromyalgia Awareness Month for May 1st-30th – May is the month we all come together to educate and raise awareness about Fibromyalgia with friends and family, at work, and in our neighborhoods. Take part to share the facts, and make a difference for all those impacted by Fibromyalgia, #SupportFibro. Fibromyalgia Awareness Day is May 12th and World Lupus Day is May 10th. Get ready to turn the month of May purple!
Help us to promote World Fibromyalgia Awareness Day on 12th May 2020 in any way you can. Some Fibro groups have created unique ways to help promote awareness. Throughout the month of May of each year, people worldwide spread awareness of fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions through live events, online activities, and personal efforts.
Fibromyalgia UK is still there but with the COVID-19 virus cannot hold any events but say they still have a hotline and contact form.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia may include heightening skin sensitivity – especially to pain, muscle stiffness, some difficulties sleeping, problems with memory and concentration, extreme tiredness, and headaches.
These symptoms are not uncommon in other diseases – and some sufferers don’t even experience all these symptoms – so it’s easy to see what makes fibromyalgia so tricky to diagnose.
There is no cure for fibromyalgia, so at the moment the only option for sufferers is to have a number of treatments. For example, medication such as painkillers and antidepressants are often prescribed.
10 Fast Fibro Facts from Fibromyalgia News Today include –
- Fibromyalgia is considered a condition rather than a disease because there are no specific causes or recognizable symptoms. A syndrome is a collection of symptoms and medical issues that occur together but cannot be attributed to an identifiable cause.
- There is no cure for fibromyalgia. Treatment is centered on managing the symptoms of the syndrome and making life more comfortable for those who live with fibro.
- While men and children can develop fibromyalgia, 90 percent of sufferers are women.
- Fibromyalgia affects all ethnic groups equally.
- Diagnosis usually occurs in young women between the ages of 20 and 50, but as a person gets older they are more likely to develop fibromyalgia.
- By the age of 80, around 8 percent of people meet the criteria of fibromyalgia from the American College of Rheumatology.
- Widespread pain is the number one symptoms of fibromyalgia. People living with the condition will have tender spots in various places on their body and will feel pain much more than those without the condition.
- Chronic fatigue and psychological issues are also common symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.
- The pain can be so debilitating it can interfere with everyday tasks and completely overtake patients’ lives.
- Fibromyalgia often overlaps with other health conditions such as anxiety disorders, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression.
1 thought on “FIBROMYALGIA AWARENESS MONTH MAY 1st – 30th & WORLD FIBROMYALGIA AWARENESS DAY MAY 12th 2021…”
Reblogged this on .