Here are 8 possible reasons why we wake up in the night and disturb our sleep.
- If you are waking up more than once to use the toilet then you may have something called Nocturia. It affects 1 in 3 adults over the age of 30 and it is when your body makes too much urine in a 24 hour period. It can be caused by a simple habit of drinking too much fluid before bedtime. Other causes can include taking a diurectic medication at night instead of in the morning.
- Alcohol is another classic one that can cause you to wake up. It might help you fall asleep quickly, but you’re much more likely to wake up early in the morning.
- Pain and discomfort can of course interrupt your nights sleep. If you can have anything handy that can help with your pain like medication or a heat pad then you maybe able to get back to sleep again.
- Restless Leg Syndrome is another problem which is typically worse at night time, which understandably makes it difficult to fall asleep or fall back to sleep after waking up
- Snoring or sleep apnea – both of which you should see your GP about as he maybe abl to help you with these problems.
- Noises can wake you slightly and affect sleep cycles. There are many potential sources of sleep stealing sounds, ranging from things in the home like appliances, televisions, pets and other people, as well as outside sounds like storms, traffic and urban city noise.
- Your age can have an impact on your sleep with new babies waking up the younger ones and older people getting by on very little sleep.
- Spicy food and hot drinks can make you feel hotter which can also disturb your sleep.