Here is my list of 10 things that make me feel happy.
1. Family – my family are my absolute life. I live and breathe them and see them as often as I can. We moved from the Midlands to the South to be close to our children so we could be near them and our grandchildren. We enjoy every second with them and it was the best move we ever did even though some friends were a bit sceptical as it was a big move for us to leave all our friends behind. Seeing your loved ones grow is a privilege. I am a twin and we are incredibly close we chat every day. She is not nearby in fact a 5 hour’s drive away but we plan ahead and see as much of each other as we can. These are the people who will always be by your side. They make everything better. Enjoy your children and grandchildren while you can as they grow so quickly.
2. Friends – without my friend’s life would be very miserable. Some will listen, others will cry with you, others will pick you up when you are at your worst and others may just be at the end of the phone. But every one of my friends plays a part in my life and I love them all dearly.
3. Laugh – laugh as much as you can as it has magical ways of making you feel good. Sometimes if I am a bit low I will watch a video of my grandchildren. It works every time. It holds such power and can help you through a hard day.
4. My bedroom – I love it and worked very hard to make it my sanctuary. I have a daily rest because I find it helps me cope with my pain. Everything is close to hand including my heat pad, my acupressure mattress, my kindle and my pretty fairy lights above my bed. My blackout curtain linings make it easier to nod off whatever time of day it is.
5. Touch – now we can hug again I love to hug my children and grandchildren whenever I can. I love holding my husband’s hand and also my granddaughters, especially when we go up some steps and she automatically says she wants to have her Nana’s hands. I also love touching my daughter’s Vizsla dog who is so soft to touch I could stroke her all day. Not only does it make you feel better, you are also helping someone else feel better too!
6. Kindness – there is nothing like someone’s kindness that can put a smile on your face. Whether it’s that kind sole who holds the door for you or someone who apologises for banging into you or that unexpected given someone gives you. Kindness is qualities that make life worth living.
7. Flowers – who doesn’t love receiving flowers. I am lucky that my husband does bring me them on a regular basis but I also get them when friends stay and on birthdays. I just love flowers in the house. It will brighten up any room and leave you feeling a little happier than when you entered.
8. Food – I love food in general but I have a very very soft spot for cakes and chocolate. I bake regularly for my family and make all the birthday cakes. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic. I love to surprise my children by arriving at the door when they do not expect me with a cake or some muffins. It always puts a smile on my face and theirs. Eating my favourite pudding, Is there anything better?
9. Playing with a puppy – I had a beautiful black toy poodle who lived to the ripe old age of 15 and we have not replaced her as we just feel we are too old for it now but boy do I miss the little cuddles and love I got from her. If I see a puppy I cannot resist touching and holding it. They’re cute, and funny and just walking into the same room as them will make you smile! We drove back to the Midlands after the lockdown was eased just so I could go and see my friend’s puppy.
10. A Great View – I love a drive out to see some of the most beautiful views we have in West Sussex from the South Downs to the seaside we have it all. A flask of hot coffee and some biscuits and just sitting looking at the views can take me to another place and will always put a smile on my face. Whenever we go away I will always try and get that Hotel room that has a view even if we have to pay a little extra for it. It shows you just how big the world is, and teaches you to appreciate all the little things life has to offer.
What are your top ten things that make you smile?