You only have one liver, so it’s important to know how to look after it. Your liver is the largest organ inside your body and does hundreds of essential jobs. It works hard and can take a lot of abuse, but it is like an elastic band – it can only stretch so far before it breaks.
According to a report by the Royal College of Psychiatrists, it’s thought that nearly double the amount of people in the UK drank “high-risk” amounts of alcohol in the first lockdown—that’s a whopping 8.4 million people—let alone what the stats will show from the second lockdown. Add this to the fact that liver disease is now the third biggest cause of death in those aged between 18 and 65 (despite 90% of the cases being preventable), and how alcohol already costs the NHS billions every year, it’s no doubt that the UK is set to see big fallout health issues from COVID-19 long term.
The British Liver Trust say regularly drinking more than the recommended amount over a long period can damage your liver. This can lead to alcohol-related liver disease (ARLD) and liver cancer.
What you can do to reduce liver damage from alcohol
Men and women should drink no more than 14 units per week.
Give your liver a regular break and have 2 to 3 alcohol free days each week – try to have them all in a row.
The best gift you could give your liver this Christmas is some TLC.
Try to reduce or eliminate caffeine from your diet – the liver considers caffeine as one of the toxins it needs to deal with and remove from the body. If you really can’t live without your daily fix, try having it with food to give your body a better chance of breaking it down in the digestive process.
Consider taking supplements – they are a good way of ensuring that your body and liver get good quality nutrients, that are essential for the repair process and may be lacking in the food we eat. Remember that nutritional products are a supplement to the diet and not a replacement. But always make sure products contain lots of antioxidant vitamins and minerals, flavonoids, B vitamins, and amino acids.
Keep hydrated – it is the liver’s job to cleanse the body. An obvious but important tip is to drink water on a regular basis to help flush away waste and toxins. Adding a slice of lemon further helps enhance the liver detoxification process.
Add variety into your diet – there are several foods that are great to eat to help your liver such as:
Beetroot: rich in plant flavonoids and beta carotene, which stimulate healthy liver function.
Turmeric: a source of curcumin, which helps cleanse carcinogens.
Garlic: rich in allicin to encourage liver enzyme activity.
Green Tea: rich in antioxidants contributing to a liver flushing function.
Grapefruit: high in the antioxidant vitamin c, take either as juice or fruit
Leafy Greens: spinach, kale and lettuce all help with bile production and are also rich in plant chlorophylls which naturally help liver detoxification.
Avocado: high in amino acids, especially glutathione for detoxification.
Artichoke: a fibrous plant, rich in Caffeoylquinic and Cynarin, both phenolic acid compounds which help maintain proper bile production and distribution, encouraging the removal of toxins and the repair of the liver.
Take a break – the liver’s job is to detoxify alcohol and eliminate harmful waste products. The more alcohol that is in your system, the harder the liver has to work to keep you healthy. Excessive drinking can cause a build-up of triglycerides which can lead to fatty liver disease. If you give your body a break from the booze, the liver will repair itself, providing there is no permanent damage.
Simon said: “There is no question that 2020 has seen us all face exceptional circumstances and, as such, some of us have certainly upped our alcohol intake. Our concern is, with the public already drinking more than normal, and then Christmas naturally being a time for over-indulgence, what effect it will have on our bodies, and already strained NHS, long term. With just a few simple steps people can really help their bodies – the liver is an incredible organ that, in most circumstances, can repair itself, so a bit of TLC is the best gift we can give ourselves this year.”
Veganicity offers Liver Kind – a comprehensive unique vegan combination of key lipotropic nutrients, helping people safeguard their nutrient intake and protect the health of the liver. It’s high in vitamins, minerals, artichoke and key amino acids, which help detoxify the body and eliminate harmful chemicals. Products are available from www.veganicity.com, www.amazon.co.uk and all good independent health shops nationwide.
Here are my top ten great pain-relieving gifts to give to any chronic pain sufferer.
This massage pillow that easily attaches to any chair will help loosen up tight back muscles and knead out unwanted knots from the comfort of your own home. Perfect for someone with lower back pain. Available on Amazon for £34.99, the RENPHO Back Massager with Heat is just the ticket if your muscles are begging for relief. This Shiatsu back and neck massager has 4 powerful deep-kneading 3D massage nodes and reinforced heating functions, this shiatsu massage pillow helps to relax overused and tight muscles. It effortlessly kneads your knots away and brings you real comfort and relief.
This natural formula contains high levels of natural extracts and oils which have a positive effect on your whole body. The high strength Hemp Oil works in synergy with Arnica, Camphor, Menthol & Rosemary Oil, essential natural ingredients to help calm and relax. GREAT FOR MASSAGE USE with natural conditioners, leaving your skin feeling moisturised, smoothed and nourished. Available from Amazon for £18.97
Pocket size massage gun. Compact, and very light weighing in at only 0.45kg (less than 1 lb), it can be easily stored away and taken anywhere and can be used on yourself. Get a deep tissue massage anytime, at home, travelling, exercising, in the office, whenever it suits you. The portable-sized design is easy to carry and is truly perfect for any time, anywhere use. It has 5-speed levels: From the 1st level at 2000 RPM（Warming Up), 2nd level at 2300 RPM (Relieving Fascia), 3rd Level at 2600 rpm（Breaking Down Lactic Acid), 4th Level at 2900 rpm (Massaging Deep Tissue ), to the 5th Level at 3200 rpm（Professional Mode). Each percussion intensity is gradually increased to achieve a more scientifically-supported approach to muscle and fascia tissue massaging. Available from Amazon for £47.99 This one is on my Christmas stocking list !!!!
4. Yoke Wellness Acupressure mat and pillow – I use this constantly and my son swears by it, he uses it every night before he goes to sleep. He is convinced he feels better and sleeps better for using it.
It was designed on the premise that ‘Self Care us Soul Care’ and is made of 100% biodegradable packaging. It has eco-friendly coconut fiber filling and the mat has 7000 ergonomic spikes for activating tension release and to help you unwind and release any body tension. It’s a natural, drug-free and holistic self-care package that will not only ease your pain but have you feeling more charged up for the day. They suggest only 10 minutes a day is all it takes which is perfect for me to use when I go for my afternoon rest.
You can stand on it for energising power, sit on it during relaxation ( I am sitting on the pillow right now) or lie on it to feel a full-body release. You will then soon feel the muscle tension melt away and is a great product for headaches, stiff neck, back pain, fibromyalgia and insomnia. So, a real all-rounder. For people suffering from insomnia, this has to be worth a try as it certainly relaxed me in seconds. It comes with a self-explanatory leaflet inside which makes you feel you are a very special person to receive this Eco Yoke Acupressure Mat & Pillow. It explains what to expect when you use your mat and how things change in seconds and then minutes into using it. It does exactly what it says on the leaflet and I was quite shocked when it does give a feeling of warmth after 1-3 minutes. It does say that bare skin is best but I was a bit apprehensive about that but I am not saying I won’t try it that way in the future as I can tell this will be well used. Available from Yoke Wellness website for £49.99
5. The ‘Fibromyalgia CFS ME MS Cancer Daily Symptoms Tracker: A 3-month Fill in the Blank Health and Well-Being Self-Assessment Diary Journal Tracker Logbook… Chronic Pain and Invisible Illness sufferers…’ is an A 3-month fill-in-the-blank health and well-being self-management diary journal tracker logbook for Chronic Pain and Invisible Illness sufferers. Worksheets include Personal Information, Medical Conditions, Medications, Healthcare, Contacts, Appointments, Daily Symptom tracking. Weekly Symptom Summaries, Food and Beverage tracking notes.Great for people with Fibromyalgia, Polymyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)Multiple Sclerosis (MS)Cancer, Chronic Pain and Undiagnosed Conditions. Take the diary to doctor’s appointments to help remind you of often-forgotten-to-mention symptoms experienced and to work with your treating health professionals to gain diagnosis, explore and provide feedback on treatment options to self-manage your diagnosed and undiagnosed medical conditions andsymptoms, the medications are taken, natural remedies tried, and help identify your specific patterns and triggers by Char Casey, Owner / Founder, eDiY Publishing. Available on Amazon for £11.62 I have written before on how keeping a diary of your symptoms can be a great help for your GP or Consultant to totally understand your condition and symptoms. As I have mentioned before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia simply because my spinal consultant asked me to write down every pain and ache after my epidural for six weeks so he could see if the injections were worth giving. After reading my diary he immediately said he was sure I was also suffering from Fibromyalgia and referred me to a Rheumatologist.
6. Warmies Extra Long Hot Water Bottle from MenKind You cannot beat a hot water bottle to help ease pains but the latest extra long ones are worth every penny of the £20 it cost to buy them.
It’s a lovely, long hot water bottle!
Slipped into a luxury, fluffy acrylic cover
Sure to keep you warm for as long as, well, a long hot water bottle!
A great gift for anyone who gets chillier than a Mexican burrito
Measures approx. 81 cm long
7. Wireless TENS Machine for Pain Relief, Rechargeable and Compact TENS Unit EMS Muscle Stimulator. These Tens machines can effectively relieve pain by blocking pain sensations transmitting to your brain and stimulating your body to release natural pain-relieving endorphins. The Tens unit is ideal for knee, elbow, ankle, arthritis, muscle, back, shoulder, neck, leg, abdomen pain, sciatica, period and endometriosis pain relief etc. Natural, drug-free and highly effective TENS UNIT for pain relief with muscle stimulation effect. For at-home use. Safe and Highly Effective.
The wireless design allows users to move freely and make it discreet under clothing. No wire and no remote control compact design makes it very easy and convenient to carry and to use. Suitable for use not only at home or work but also on the go and walking around.
It has six automated Massage Program Options and 20 Power Levels for Intensity. Only 2-Button to control, just turn on the unit by pressing the on/off button and adjust the intensity by pressing “﹢” or “-”. A pair of Gel Electrode Pad is included. A rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides this professional unit with long-lasting power. Available from Amazon for £20.96
8. EASE Bath Salts . EASE Bath Salts combine Himalayan Pink Salt with organic Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Peppermint Oils to soothe and ease your body. The naturally cleansing salts and soothing, therapeutic essential oils will help you relax, restore wellbeing and leave your skin soft to the touch. This product does not contain CBD but I just couldn’t wait to try it. Or you could try their Calm Bath Salts which combine Himalayan Pink Salt with organic Evening Primrose, Rosemary and Marula to calm your mind and body. The naturally cleansing salts and soothing, therapeutic essential oils will help you relax, restore wellbeing and leave your skin soft to the touch.
The salts are in a lovely container and look perfect with the colours in my bathroom and both my children ( in their 30’s) saw them and commented how lovely they looked and my daughter in particular couldn’t wait to hear what they were like. Available from Grass & Co for £19.50
9. BackCare have a magazine called Talkback which you can buy as a subscription or you can join BackCare for an annual membership and you will be sent the magazine which comes out every four months plus 12 monthly E-Newsletters. It costs £20 Talkback is a full-colour glossy magazine produced quarterly which includes the following editorial content: Back product testing and the latest gadgets, Health and Exercise, Exercises and tips on preventing back pain. Patient-centred approaches to treatment. Research News. BackCare Professionals Section. Readers Letters. Interview with Back Pain Celebrities. A great stocking filler for anyone with back pain.
10. For any Fibromyalgia sufferer then the Fibromyalgia Magazine is the perfect gift. It deals with the areas that matter to readers which include –
Medical Research News
News from local support groups and charities
On line directory of all support groups and phone friends
A nationwide directory of FM resources
Opinion and Entertainment from our unrivalled team of columnists
It is a monthly magazine subscription for £34.95 and they have been Providing the Independent voice of UK Fibromyalgia monthly, for over 20 years. This Listing is for 1 Year Subscription to your door (£2.91 per month) They also offer a monthly digital subscription here. (£1.99 per month)