I keep reading how important the right nutrition is essential to beating inflammation as increasing evidence suggests that some conditions may be accelerated by chronic inflammation in the body.
Inflammation gives you pain and can be shown with redness or swelling from the troubled spot if this is visible you can easily use ice or heat to reduce this problem but some inflammations do not show on the outside.
One study found that having chronic inflammation during midlife increased the risk of poor health and fragility in old age by 39%!!!
Chronic inflammation can play a big role in different ailments. But this can be alleviated with certain foods which fight inflammation.
Eleven Anti-Inflammatory Foods are –
- Pineapple as it contains bromelain which is an anti-inflammatory that aids digestion.
- Berries are full of antioxidants.
- Fatty fish include salmon, cod, mackerel, sardines and anchovies. Studies have found that people consuming salmon or EPA and DHA supplements experienced reductions in the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP)
- Greens like spinach, broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts, and avocados.
- Spices include turmeric and ginger which both have anti-inflammatory actions.
- Good fats like walnuts, almonds, olive oil and avocado.
- Green Tea which they call the ‘healthiest’ drink due to its rich compound.
- Coffee contains polyphenols and other anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Tomatoes and peppers both contain Vitamin C which will help curb inflammation.
- Dark Chocolate and Red Wine. Yes, this might surprise you but they both have flavonoids that have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Grapes contain anthocyanins, which reduce inflammation.
Of course, some foods can increase inflammation. Here is a list of foods that have been linked to increased levels of inflammation from Healthline.
- Processed foods: potato chips and fast food
- Refined carbs: white bread, white rice, crackers, and biscuits
- Fried foods: fries, fried chicken, and mozzarella sticks
- Sugar-sweetened beverages: soda, sweet tea, and sports drinks
- Processed meats: bacon, ham, and hot dogs
- Trans fats: shortening and margarine
A great book on the subject is The Complete Guide To Anti-Inflammatory Foods: Recipes To Support Your Health And Immune System By Lizzie Streit from Amazon.
Improve your diet and ward off health problems caused by inflammation with this clearly organized directory of 50 anti-inflammatory foods, complete with tips and recipes.
The older we get, the more likely inflammation of the body can be harmful and cause long-term damage. Researchers have linked low-grade, persistent inflammation to premature ageing, heart disease, MS, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, psoriasis, arthritis, and cancer. While anti-inflammatory drugs do exist, they might not always be the best option. Fortunately, aggressive inflammation can be remedied by a simple change in diet.
The Complete Guide to Anti-Inflammatory Foods introduces 50 anti-inflammatory foods that can easily be incorporated into your day-to-day diet with tips and tricks to keep their anti-inflammatory properties active while preparing your favourite meals and snacks.
The guide explains how each food contributes to improving your health and well-being and includes tasty recipe suggestions for combining several anti-inflammatory foods to boost your daily intake. The benefits of each food are listed, such as antioxidants and polyphenols–protective compounds found in plants–that may contribute to protecting against inflammation, as well as the nutritional breakdown of foods to help include them as part of restricted diets such as Keto or low GI.