BACK PAIN BLOG UK IS A PERSONAL JOURNEY OF A CHRONIC BACK PAIN SUFFERER. MY SITE IS FULL OF THE LATEST TREATMENTS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, THERAPIES, DRUGS, TIPS AND WEBSITES ON BACK PAIN, FIBROMYALGIA and ARTHRITIC CONDITIONS.
World Sleep Day is about raising awareness of sleep problems and the health effects that these cause, including other problems that are subsequently caused by it in the economy, education and so on. Of course it is also about preventing sleep problems and disorders in the first place. If you research the effects of lack of quality sleep more deeply, then the conclusion is that basically it makes people age faster. Higher cancer risk, higher diabetes risk, obesity, low testosterone in men, higher risk of osteoporosis in women, higher risk for Altzheimer’s etc. are all effects normally linked to aging.
It’s organized by the World Association of Sleep Medicine. This year’s motto is “Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet”. Last year’s was “Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging”. World Sleep Day . It is an annual event, and aims to lessen the burden of sleep problems on society through better prevention and management of sleep disorders. World Sleep Day is held the Friday before Spring Vernal Equinox of each year. Future dates will be: Friday, March 13, 2020 & Friday, March 12, 2021.
A new smart, modular bed rocker system, for adults from Ensven has a particularly interesting feature in that it can detect shallow/bad sleep – restlessness – and automatically react to rock the sleeper(s) back into recuperative deep sleep. Ensven have a youtube video which shows how this works. It’s worked for years with babies so it’s no surprise it could work for everyone else.
Sleep is so important for health that it’s becoming the most talked about subject but if you can get it right then your health will benefit.
You should try the Kally Pillow. Use code SLEEP10 at checkout for 10% off! Your best night’s sleep is waiting for you! Discover the difference with our 14-night trial at Kally Sleep!Kally say it’s the best orthopaedic body pillow for neck & back pain, pregnancy, recovery support and restless sleepers.
It is ergonomically designed by experts to help you enjoy longer periods of deep, uninterrupted sleep in superior comfort. Their sumptuous body pillow provides crucial support for your back, neck, and spine, while the delicate and breathable 100% Cotton Jersey pillow cover helps you stay cool (included free). Totally redefine your sleep with the Kally Body Pillow.
The Kally Pillow is the ultimate sleep system expertly designed to encourage healthy sleep positions and a much deeper sleep. If you suffer with leg pain, back pain, neck pain or are simply looking for the ultimate sleep comforter, then the Kally Pillow is for you. By taking pressure off all of your key joints, this orthopaedic pillow will leave you feeling weightless and encourage a deeper more peaceful sleep.
Orthopaedic body pillow
100% Cotton Jersey Pillow Cover (included Free)
Supportive Hollow-fibre interior which moulds to your body
Rolls up and can be stored or packed away easily
Easy clean – Pillow and Cover machine washable
Unisex, one-size-fits-all product
Ideal for sleepers of all weight groups
Firmness = medium
Suitable for all side sleepers and women during pregnancy
Helps sufferers of fibromyalgia, arthritis and acid reflux
They have guide to common sleeping positions. You can take power over your power naps; Many of us have been there, unable to work out why that one sleeping position sends us drifting while others put dead legs, sore necks and more troublesome obstacles between us and our Z’s. You may be lucky enough to hop into bed without much thought about how to get comfortable. Even if this is the case, it is still great to know how the position you sleep in affects your body.
Another great offer for something to help you sleep people who snore is the Slumber Bump who’s special offer is For Friends & Family Event with 25% off , February 14-29|Code: FriendsRock.
The slumberBUMP™ has a proven track-record of improving people’s quality of sleep if they suffer from positional snoring (also known as positional sleep disordered breathing.) There are a few obvious signs that the slumberBUMP is helping you, like waking up with more energy and without a headache. While these are great signs, we wanted to take it a step further and give you the ability to keep track of your progress with what we are calling, The 21-Day Challenge.
slumberBUMP recommends Snore Lab to give you a more unique insight into how well you are actually sleeping at night. The helpful Snore Lab app, recommended by doctors around the globe, will track exactly how loudly and for how long you snore over the night. Starting from the day you receive your slumberBUMP for the next three weeks, you will be able to enter your sleep data and plot out your progress with the slumberBUMP. They ship to the U.K.
Another great offer is from Grass & Co where if you enter your email address you can get a 20% discount code and their CBD guide ebook.
The NEW Silent Night CBD Kit includes our balancing CALM 500mg CBD Consumable Oil, peaceful Pillow Spray and an exclusive limited edition Grass & Co. Sleep Mask.
CALM 500mg CBD Oil – Our NEW 500mg CALM CBD Oil is a simple and effective way to benefit from CBD. Each drop contains a deeply relaxing blend of CBD, Mint, Chamomile & Ashwaghanda.
CALM Pillow Spray – CALM Pillow Spray balances the comforting aromatherapy scents of luxurious Lemon, relaxing Rosemary and calming Chamomile to soothe you to your sleepy place. Awake feeling calmed.
Grass & Co. Sleep Mask – Made from the highest quality mulberry silk, these luxurious masks are a must-have winter sleep accessory. It costs £57 and would make a great Mother’s Day gift.
It’s Sleep Sunday – Let’s Talk About Sleep and this week I thought you might enjoy this article and infographic which was sent to me from Disturb Me Not, on how some famous people sleep.
Did you know that Napoleon slept only four hours a day or that Leonardo Da Vinci was a polyphasic sleeper? In our infographic, you can find out some pretty amazing facts about famous people from the world of politics, business, sports, science, and art and their strange sleeping habits.
Although we should sleep eight hours every night to stay healthy and be productive, most of these successful people don’t follow this ideal sleep pattern. Some of them were even able to work for days without any rest. Surprisingly, regardless of their questionable sleep habits, they managed to come up with some astonishing inventions that changed our daily lives.
It’s really unexpected that people with such unusual habits have become so successful since we all know that lack of sleep impairs our ability to focus and think clearly. Of course, this doesn’t mean you should sleep less than recommended. A good night’s sleep is vital for your physical and mental wellbeing.
If you think that famous people don’t have sleep problems, you’re terribly wrong. Many of them suffer from sleep disorders, from insomnia to sleep paralysis. But you may find the kinds of home remedies for good sleep they used to deal with them particularly interesting. For example, one famous painter used camphor for treating insomnia, which eventually led to his death.
So would you like to find out which scientist slept 20 hours a day and which slept only 3–4 hours every night? Maybe you’re interested in learning more about Tesla’s sleeping habits? If so, check out the infographic they prepared for me.
Let’s talk about sleep and the use of pillow sprays this Sunday. My top 5 calming pillow sprays for a peaceful night’s sleep are-
1. Grass & Co CALM Pillow Spray 50 ml – £17.50 this pillow spray contains Distilled Aqua, Anthemis nobilis (Chamomile Essential Oil), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary Essential Oil), Limon (Lemon Essential Oil) Organic Alcohol, D-Limonene. It is 100% Natural. THC & Toxin-Free, (as recommended by netdoctor). A CALM Pillow Spray balances the comforting aromatherapy scents of luxurious Lemon, relaxing Rosemary and calming Chamomile to quieten your mind and soothe you to your sleepy place. Awake feeling calmed. Mist onto your pillow and bed linen to bring calm, peace and tranquility to your bedtime ritual. This is my favourite pillow spray at the moment. When I wake up in the night ( which I often do) I reach for the spray and soon find myself feeling relaxed and calm.
2. This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray 75 ml – £19.50this pillow spray contains Fragrance mixture (Linalool; Linalyl Acetate; Vetiverols; Ocimene; Caryophyllene; Terpentine-4-ol; beta-Pinene; d-Limonene; 1-Octen-3-yl acetate; Geraniol). They say ‘Get a great night’s sleep with our best-selling deep sleep pillow spray. Proven to help you fall asleep faster and wake feeling more refreshed. Use at bedtime to help reduce sleep anxiety and improve sleep quality. Award-winning natural, aromatherapeutic Superblend of Lavender, Vetivert and Camomile calms both mind and body, soothing you to sleep.’ This is my second choice as I just adore lavender and in this particular spray it has a lovely strong smell of it.
3. M&S Collection Pillow Sleep Spray 200 ml – £6.50it contains Aqua, propylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, ethylhexylglycerin, lavandula angustifolia oil, disodium edta, and denatonium benzoate. In their words ‘Create a calming atmosphere at bedtime with our aromatic pillow spray. From our Body and Soul collection, the spray helps to bring feelings of tranquillity and sleepiness to your bedroom. Spray it onto your pillow at the end of the day and relax into a dreamy slumber.‘ This is my afternoon rest pillow spray to help me just rest and relax for an hour. It works for me.
4. Neon Organics Perfect Night’s Sleep Pillow Mist 5 ml – £8 the ingredients in this spray is 100% natural fragrances. Their words ‘this really special complex blend using only 100% natural fragrances with 14 of the purest possible dreamy essential oils including English lavender, chamomile & patchouli plus little touches of other perfectly chosen natural essential oils expertly blended to help you relax and prepare for sleep. Use the Pillow Mist for maximum quality and quantity of zzz’s’. This is a great size to pop in your bag for a weekend break.
5. L’Occitane En Provence Relaxing Pillow Mist 100 ml – £19.00Made with essential oils, this mist creates a calming atmosphere that promotes relaxation and well-being. I was given a sample size of this in a gift with other products and felt I had a good night’s sleep but probably needed to try it for a lot longer but the smell makes you feel relaxed straight away.
Another week has flown by and its time for my Sleep Sunday – Let’s Talk About Sleeppost here on my Back Pain Blog.
I am a member of a group called MyFibroTeam which I have to admit I do not sit and read their articles on a regular basis. However, I have never deleted any of their emails so I decided to sit and read through all the links they had sent me. I came across this article onFibromyalgia and Insomniawhich I thought was perfect for this weeks post after my article yesterday on fibro flare-ups.
MyFibroTeam is the social network for those living with fibromyalgia. You get the emotional support you need from others like you and gain practical advice and insights on managing treatment or therapies for fibromyalgia. MyFibroTeamis the only social network where you can truly connect, make real friendships, and share daily ups and downs in a judgement-free place. It is certainly somewhere I will now be visiting on a regular basis. Some members have given their personal tips for a good nights sleep.
According to MyFibroTeam members report that chronic lack of sleep exacerbates pain, fatigue, and other symptoms, including head and neck pain: Tenderness and sensitivity around the head, neck and ears, sparks lots of conversation on MyFibroTeam.
“I can’t put any pressure at the base of my skull so I have to sleep on very flat pillows,” reported one member. Others use “pillows that fit the curve of their necks,” or “three under the knees and feet.” One woman said her bed feels like “laying on bricks.” “I sleep better in my recliner,” she added.
Some MyFibroTeam members report excessive sweating during sleep. “Every night, my T-shirts are drenched,” wrote one member. Another uses “towels on top of the sheets.” One member said her night sweats became “less frequent” after buying “cooling pillows and a weightless blanket.” This is definitely something I will cover in another post.
Sleep apnea: Members who snore loudly or feel tired the next day have gotten tested for sleep apnea, a condition which causes breathing to stop and start throughout the night. “I was waking up every three hours and getting just 20 minutes of a deep sleep,” shared one member. “After being diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea, I now sleep eight hours a night. I feel great, have energy, and no pain, headache, or tiredness.” Your doctor can order a sleep study to diagnose the disorder.
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): Members also report having this sleep disorder, which involves involuntary leg movements. “Muscle relaxers really helped my excruciating spasms, back pain, and insomnia,” shared one man. Another member said: “Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) helps a little but the heating pad is really my best friend.”
After reading the above symptoms which so many Fibro sufferers have to deal with its no surprise that many of us have difficulty in sleeping. Of course, I am sure most of us would have tried over the counter prescriptions like Nytol/ Herbal Sleep Supplements or melatonin and prescription medications like Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline which seem to work for a while then wear off.
The latest trend for helping you sleep is Medical marijuana : Cannabis and cannabidiol (CBD), used alone or in combination with other remedies (prescribed by their doctors), which MyFibroTeam says have helped many members manage fibro insomnia. “I’ve been using CBD oil for three months. The pain is much better and I’m finally sleeping at night,” said one woman. Others report that cannabis helps them fall asleep, but not stay asleep. “I chew one gummy and get about three hours of sleep, max,” explained another member.
I’d love to hear from any fibro sufferer if this really does help with their sleep.
I am trying different pillow sprays at the moment and I am having great success with one in particular calledEaseby Grass & Cowhich has orange, eucalyptus and ginger in it. I will write an article on the different pillow sprays next Sleep Sunday as I feel this could be the way forward for many of us without having to rely on medication to help us sleep.