Here are thirteen facts about back pain that you may not know.
1. Back pain costs the NHS approximately £12.3 billion per year on back pain related costs, with £1.6 billion spent on treatments.
2. Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, it is the second most common reason for visits to your GP.
3. Most back pain cases are mechanical and non-organic which basically means it’s NOT caused by a serious condition, but rather from poor posture and poor use of your body.
4. Low back pain is the second most reason to visit to your GP.
5. Back pain is the most frequent cause of limited activity in people younger than 45 years old.
6. Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives. 30% of those will have recurring problems.
7. Most back pain goes away on its own, whether or not you treat it with medication or other therapies.
8. According to the Office for National Statistics, almost 31million work days were lost in the UK in 2016 due to musculoskeletal problems and back pain.
9. Bed rest is NOT helpful for the back pain.
10. Exercise is good and safe for back pain.
11. Maintaining a healthy weight will help prevent back pain.
12. Surgery is rarely needed for back pain.
13. Your back is stronger than you think.