World Spine Day took place on October 16th 2021. To raise awareness of this I put together over twenty tips on how to keep your spine healthy which was posted onto To Better Days website, or you can read it below.
1.Always bend you knees when lifting ‘anything’ and keep your stomach pulled in and hold the item close to you.
2. Avoid excess weight, as this puts a lot of pressure on your spine. Eat a balanced diet that includes anti-inflammatory foods and vitamin D to keep your bones strong.
3. Watch your postures, especially if you sit down a lot. Take regular breaks to walk around and stretch out.
4. Stay as active as possible, walking and swimming are great for people suffering from back pain.
5. Try to keep your feel flat on the floor when you are working at a desk and practice good ergonomics while sitting—and limit total sitting time.
6. Only wear high heels for special occasions as they put a strain on your spine.
7. Pop a cushion or towel behind your back for long car journeys and make sure you stop for regular breaks.
8. If you are moving home then pack smaller boxes instead of larger ones, disassemble furniture to make it lighter and plan to use a cart or dolly if needed.
9. Improving the strength in your back is very important to long term back pain relief. With light exercise, you can loosen any tightness in the muscles and ease any pain you may be struggling with. Start slowly with your exercise, gradually increasing the amount you do each week until it becomes something you want to do rather than a chore.
10. Stay flexible, if you are desk bound, move around every 30 minutes, do not get chained to your desk.
11. Have a deep tissue massage as this can help back pain a great deal but make sure whoever gives it to you is fully qualified.
12. Stay hydrated.
13. For the women, don’t carry your life around in your handbag.
14. For the men, don’t carry too much in your computer bag.
15. Do not smoke, it has been proven that people who smoke are more likely to have lower back pain.
16. Never twist and bend at the same time.
17. When brushing your teeth rinse with a cup of water, don’t bend, it’s a classic position to trigger low back pain.
18. When getting out of bed, lie on your side, raise your head then put your feet on the floor and lift yourself into a sitting position.
19. Ask for help. See if a family member, friend or neighbour might go shopping with you to reach those hard-to-reach items. Ask for help if you are on your own. My husband shops with me every week as most of the time I can’t reach the items and I do need his help.
20. Let your spine really rest while sleeping.
21. Talk to your doctor about over-the-counter medications for controlling pain and inflammation.